Sunday, April 14, 2013


On this Day of Remembrance, I would like to say thank you to those who have fought for this country, those who have lived for it and those who have died for it.
Because I love this country and its people.
Love is hard to explain or justify. If I say I love this country, it's not because I think everything about it is good.
When the US (where I grew up) was born, its society was based partly on slave labor and upon the expropriation of the Native Americans. Slavery was so deeply ingrained that those who tried to get it outlawed at the great Constitutional Convention were defeated. It took almost another century and a terrible civil war to do away with slavery, and even now the damage and injustice to Native Americans and African Americans are not spent.
Australia (where my spouse grew up) was founded upon the expropriation and near-extermination of the Native Australians.
The olam she kulo tov -- the perfect world -- does not exist anywhere on earth. But love does exist. It's even commanded and demanded by the Holy One.
A strong and independent Israel, a place where Hebrew culture can flower -- these things are not nothing. And this reality is so very fragile, and it has grown out of so many people's love.
If we need to learn to share this country; if we have a lot to fix -- there's also a lot to appreciate, a lot to live up to. We remember; we yearn; we love.

2 comments:

Jon Green / יחיאל גריינימן said...

ts

Jon Green / יחיאל גריינימן said...

Debbie, as you know I deal with some pretty rough, depressing stuff - even this evening I had to deal with a nasty incident in the still militarily occupied area of the Shomron. Nevertheless, I agree with your sentiment that there is a lot to be thankful for and although there is a lot still to do Israel is an incredible achievement for the Jewish people that I too love. this is so despite my occasional anguish at what is done in its name. As long as there are people like you here - and there are many! - there is still hope that we can correct what needs to be corrected and move beyond our present malaise as a society.